Pages

Friday, July 19, 2013

Classroom Catalog of Good Behavior

Hi y'all!

      I've had several people ask me about my classroom management system so I'm here today to explain what I do. :)

      I know so many of you use the clip chart, but for me, I don't think I could keep up with it.  I love the idea of the clip chart and maybe one day, but for now, I'm sticking with what works for me!  Kudos to all of you that can keep up with it, but man, it's enough to keep up with just this!

      So, I have this wooden clip stand.  The best pic I can find on this computer is this one...and it's from 3 years ago!!!

       At the top is a green circle, in the middle is a yellow circle, and at the bottom is a red circle.  As you can see, the red is at the bottom and you can't see the green at the top.  Sorry...that's the best I could do...

                          

      All the clips are clipped to the green at the start of each day.  If they have an infraction, they move down a level to yellow.  If they have another infraction, they move to red.

      At any time, they may work themselves back up a level.  Each level is represented by a number.

Green = 5
Yellow = 4
Red = 3

      At our school, they are given a spiral bound agenda.  I write the number that they earned each day in the agenda and I expect my parents to initial each night.  That way, the parents are always aware of how each day went for their student.  If they have a number less than a 5, I always jot a little note telling the parents what the issues were.  This also gives me a chance to write a little good note too :)!

      At the end of the week, I tally up their points that they have earned for the week and based on the points, they get to pick out of my Classroom Catalog of Good Behavior!!!  They absolutely LOVE this!! 

      I am pretty strict with the points so they really strive to keep their five for each day.  It usually just takes one time to miss out on catalog orders and they are right back on track!!




      This little catalog has been a great classroom management lifesaver, as well as a teacher budget saver. No longer am I purchasing lots and lots of items for my treasure box because my students are choosing rewards that don't cost me a single penny! 

      I just print out the pages I need, place in sheet protectors, and then place in a binder.  That way, they can browse through like a real catalog!     

  Now, that's what I call AWESOME!!!!

5 comments:

  1. Great ideas on classroom management. I am your newest follower. I love the title of you blog {so cute}. If you get a chance I would love for you to come check out my blog.

    Jamie
    teachingtidbit.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the simplicity of your system! I do something very similar. I also use prize coupons, like yours, for the end of the week! Definitely better than buying all that "junk" the kids really don't need!

    Karen

    An Apple a Day in First Grade

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen, it has to be simple so that I can keep up with all the other stuff they have us doing! Lol!!

      Delete
  3. I love the catalog idea! I think I am going to try to implement this this year! Thanks for sharing!

    Katie
    Chalk It Up To Good Behavior

    ReplyDelete

Blogging tips